Except for our upstairs bathroom, our house had pretty much been fully renovated when we bought it in 2010. We’ve done quite a bit of cosmetic work, including installing trim, painting and changing out light fixtures. And, of course, there was the patio. However, that bathroom… It wasn’t awful, but it did not match the rest of the house. Also, we felt like the dimensions of the vanity and shower should be switched. There’s room for two sinks there, but barely room for one person to stand in the shower.
Before we could even get started, Dad and Tony worked on the downstairs bathroom to get the hot water working to the tub. Once we determined that we’d have a way to get clean in the evenings, we got to work demo’ing the upstairs. We didn’t find too many surprises, but there were a shocking number of floor layers under the top layer of linoleum. Also, we’ve determined that we will not be able to install a vent fan…no room up in the attic for its “plumbing.”
One layer of awesome flooring and the collateral damage to the room adjacent to the bathroom
Final plumbing work
Four days in, and we’ve torn out all the old, plumbed in the new, and are almost ready for floors and walls. Last night we put down concrete backer board over thinset, and tonight we got the backer board for the walls up and taped.
Current vs. normal scene at the top of the stairs:
New walls and floors
I’m not sure if it looks like much to you, but I feel pretty good. Things have moved slowly, as anticipated, but besides waiting on batteries to charge today (you should see all the tools that are battery-powered now…drills, jigsaws, circular saws, etc!), but they have moved consistently. We’ll be putting on the waterproof membrane tomorrow, and at least starting the tiling. Wish us luck (By “us” and “we” in this post, I mostly mean “Dad,” who is totally my hero, and to whom I am incredibly grateful!) Oh, and in case I’m not back: Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, hopefully spent with people you love.